Saturday, February 14, 2015

Growing Seedlings and Fear of Gardening

I used to be afraid of gardening, of putting plants in the wrong spot, of just not being able to do it right. Yes I know there are wrong ways of gardening that will give you low yields of fruits and vegetables but it isn't the end of the world, at least it shouldn't be.


I wasted a lot of good gardening years because I was afraid. How much joy, and great tasting garden fresh veggies, did I miss out on because of fear?

Now I am allowing myself to experiment, try things that others have had some success with and I'm willing to see if it will work for me. Why not, the worst thing that could happen is I'll make some mistakes but I'll still have some fruits and vegetables and I'll learn what not to do next year.  The best thing, I will have loads and loads of fresh fruits and vegetables.

My garden journal.

I've decided that I am going to keep track of my successes and failures - I now have a garden journal that I am writing down everything that I am doing, what I'm planting and when, and when things are sprouting.

Do you keep a garden journal?

Today I am prepping ten - one gallon water bottles to use as little greenhouses. It seems that some gardeners are having success by planting their seeds in them and setting them outside to sprout when they are ready to sprout in the spring. I decided I wanted to see how well it works. If you want to find out more about using one gallon water/milk bottles, check out The Green Phone Booth.

I love watching my seedlings grow!

More than half of the seeds I planted at the end of January have sprouted in my little cups and egg cartons, and those were older seeds. So far none of my marigolds have sprouted but everything else I have at least four if not more of each. If all of my seedlings of bell peppers grow up to be good producers, I'm going to have them coming out of my ears but that just means I'm going to have lots to share!

My granddaughters are coming over for a slumber party tonight and they will be helping me plant seeds in the greenhouse jugs tomorrow and we are going to have a lot of fun doing it!

Have you ever had fear around growing a garden? Did you garden anyway or are you letting it stop you?

PageLines- picture20193.jpgMorgan Dragonwillow is a writing rebel, foodie, urban gardener, recovering perfectionist, poet & author that (mostly) doesn't let her fears get in the way of her passion for writing and creating. She is team leader at @StoryDam, creatrix of  #OctPoWriMo You can find her writing and dancing into a wild and juicy life at morgandragonwillow.com. She lives in Marietta, Ga. with her loving and patient partner, their dog that thinks she's a princess, and the cat that reminds her that she isn't.
You can also find her on Google+

Did you enjoy this article, then sign up to receive all the Foodie Fun in your inbox!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

4 comments:

  1. I keep a garden journal mostly to keep track of how various seeds and plants perform. I'm a little less than regular about it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, thanks for stopping by and sharing about your journal. So far I'm using my journal a lot but it is fairly new so we shall see. Hope you're having a great weekend in-spite of this cold weather!

      Delete
  2. I love your garden journal! Then again, I love any kind of journal. My hubby, the chemistry teacher, requires his students to keep science journals. I pour over every page anytime he brings it home with him. Handmade journals are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tui, I'm enjoying making notes and keeping track of my gardening exploits. How fun that you get to read the science journals, I'm sure they can be pretty interesting!

      Delete

What's cooking in your kitchen and garden?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...